Wednesday, December 9, 2009

When the going gets weird

One of my literary heroes said when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Well, in this instance the weird are turning to blogging. I've often got enough rolling around in my head to fill volumes, and since it seems like me and my grandmother are the only people left on earth that don't blog I think it's time for a try. And it has become weird, very weird, bad enough that a very gentle woman I know said tonight that this world is fucked up.

It is likely egotistical of me, but I feel enlightened. I feel like I'm able to see some things from more angles then some other people, and that makes me right about certain things. Whether or not I am is not the question. I'm a recovering southern baptist. I was born and raised on hell-fire and damnation to sinners, and was convinced by the time I was 17 I was going to hell. But I saw the light. I was introduced to Rage Against the Machine and George Orwell in high school and to shorten a long story, at the ripe old age of 27 I am now an almost completely non religious libertarian. A proud member of the vast conspiracy to..... make people reason things out. Shit, there we go.

I have this god awful addiction to all things "political" in this country. Politics, religion, the environment blah blah blah blah blah. We've all heard it before, jackass. I know the internet is already stuffed to the gills with political blogs. I am well aware of that and while my end product may be of political nature it's not my intention to be another cry baby liberal.

Shit just doesn't add up sometimes. I was watching c-span earlier today and listening to some mentally ill republican trying to convince everyone that climate change is just a hoax. It's just the liberal tree hugging environmentalists trying to ruin perfectly good American jobs. Christ! They don't make any sense. I don't care if you don't think we should stop mining coal because it's destroying the planet, please, make that argument. But don't try to tell me the climate isn't changing.

That's why I like the new term Climate Change. Global Warming was just too specific. It's too hard to argue global temperatures on a chart from the last 700 years. What isn't hard to do is find some footage of a hurricane laying waste to the city of New Orleans. New Orleans, on the Gulf of Mexico, where there aren't supposed to be hurricanes! That's freaking climate change! When you go from having no hurricanes for decades, to having hurricanes... your climate has changed.

Ok. So there it is. We'll try to keep the shit to shoe level from here on out.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment